The White House has said that they have identified ‘potential preparations for another chemical attack’ by the Syrian regime and has warned the country’s president Bashar al-Assad of a ‘heavy price’ if one is carried out.
According to a White House statement released on Monday night “The United States has identified potential preparations for another chemical weapons attack by the Assad regime that would likely result in the mass murder of civilians, including innocent children.”
“The activities are similar to preparations the regime made before its April 4, 2017 chemical weapons attack, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement.
“As we have previously stated, the United States is in Syria to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria,” he continued. “If, however, Mr. Assad conducts another mass murder attack using chemical weapons, he and his military will pay a heavy price.”
The US Ambassador to United Nations, Nikki Haley, tweeted “Any further attacks done to the people of Syria will be blamed on Assad, but also on Russia & Iran who support him killing his own people.”
Three days after the chemical weapons attack in April that killed dozens of people, President Donald Trump ordered airstrike on the air field where the attack was believed to have been carried.
Syria’s six year war has left more than 450,000 people dead and 13.5 million Syrians requiring humanitarian assistance, out of which 4.8 million are refugees outside Syria.